The fast, reliable and efficient solution for large airports
As different as individual airports are, so too are their requirements. To meet the specific needs of its customers, we offer tray systems in different sizes: small, medium, and an out-of-gauge version for transporting bulky items such as surfboards or skis.
Siemens pioneered trays in baggage handling systems as early as the beginning of the 1970s.
Since then, the company has continuously enhanced and extended its entire tray portfolio for baggage handling.
In the more than 40 years that have since passed, Siemens has installed an impressive base of several hundred kilometers of trays at international airports all over the world.
Innovative tray conveyor technology
Our proven VarioTray portfolio includes a wide range of functionalities. For instance, our screenable tray enables in-system integration of ultramodern X-ray devices. Further examples include our SmartTilter for high throughput rates, a rectangular transfer, and various stacker solutions to store excess trays. To reduce energy consumption, the belts beneath the trays run over rollers to prevent dynamic friction between the belts and conveyors.
VarioTray components – such as TilterPlus and LineStacker – are technologically capable of capturing operating data, which is stored in MindSphere, the open cloud-based Internet of Things operating system from Siemens. Smart applications access, analyze and use the data in MindSphere, for example for predictive maintenance. In this case, service experts receive notices on changed conditions and wear early on – before they can cause major damage or lead to system downtime.
All in all, the VarioTray portfolio is a proven baggage handling solution that has undergone continual optimization to remain the leading choice for large international airports with a high number of transfer passengers.
- Speed: Top speeds of up to 10 meters per second (m/s). By comparison, belt conveyors transport baggage at a maximum of 2.5 m/s
- Cost efficiency: The belts beneath the trays run over rollers to prevent dynamic friction between the belts and conveyors, thereby considerably reducing energy consumption and material wear
- Accuracy: The unique lateral guidance system ensures that trays travel safely and precisely through the baggage handling system at all times. All trays are equipped with radio-frequency identification (RFID) to reach their intended destination with an industry leading accuracy of nearly 100 percent
- Scalability: Different tray sizes: small, medium, and out-of-gauge
- Robustness and reliability: The guiding rollers and the highly durable running surface ensure an extraordinary long lifetime