Connect processes and boost throughput in logistics yards
Growth in transported volumes and just-in-time production have turned yards into the new bottlenecks at logistics hubs. Yard managers need to control multiple and diverse hub operations. Ensuring compliance with heightened security standards adds to the complexity.
Reduce bottlenecks at logistics hubs
Limited transparency about incoming vehicles hinders hub processes. The result is lines of trucks at gates and parking areas. At the same time, loading crews and shunter drivers may even experience idle times as they wait for urgent goods to arrive at the docks.
The Siemens software Dock & Yard Management (DYM) gives yard operations managers a solution with a new level of transparency and control. Trucks and goods flow more efficiently through gates and docks. DYM digitally connects logistics processes at a yard to boost transportation throughput.
DYM is designed to facilitate the management of multiple and complex yards. With Siemens as a reliable partner, the high-quality solution can be rolled out for greenfield projects as well as for existing hubs.
Minimize idle times and capacity requirements
The optional Time Slot Management (TSM) module coordinates trucks even before they arrive at a yard’s gate. A carrier’s dispatcher books time slots online, keeping in mind the priority level of the loaded goods. With TSM, freight arrives in the right sequence at the right time – and minimizes idle times and capacity requirements.
Once a truck reaches a site, DYM proposes the appropriate processing steps and allocates the optimum docks based on the current state of the yard and hub operations. The yard manager can intuitively assign tasks, for example to shunter drivers, or communicate with dock crew and truck drivers supported by a fully graphical visualization of the yard. DYM ensures fast and secure gate access by easily connecting to the yard’s existing or new hardware (e.g., barriers, screens, sensors) through open and secure interfaces. This reduces total cost of ownership and minimizes implementation and integration efforts.
- Optimized, shortened turnaround times and increased hub throughput
- Lower total cost of ownership and reduced operating expenditures
- Improved yard safety and security thanks to enhanced control and visibility
- Better yard, equipment and resource utilization
- Intelligent dock allocation and full control through web user interfaces
- IoT readiness for simplified integration of yard hardware and sensors
- Interfaces to data analytics and reports to aid end-to-end process optimization, for example with the Siemens Planning, Prediction & Control software